Names (ToT)

by Ashley on March 8, 2011

The first post I ever read of Chelsea’s was a Ten on Tuesday.  One of the questions was about junk food and her answer made it obvious that she is my kind of person.  Every week I read everyone else’s responses, but I have never participated myself. The questions are particularly fun this week, so I decided to play.

1. How did your parents decide on your name?
My mom is responsible for my name.  I was going to be Amanda or Andrea, but she heard Ashley at the last moment and thought it was beautiful.  She claims she had no idea that it was going to be such a popular name.

2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?
No!  When I was in high school, I noticed that my initials spell something or are at least pronounceable in every combination except the one I have them in.  I noticed this in high school, because my initials when rearranged spelled out our school’s mascot.  Obviously, I had a lot of time to think.

3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name? (If unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
If I get married, I will probably take my maiden name as my middle name unless I hyphenate.  My middle name doesn’t mean that much to me and I don’t want to drop my maiden name.

4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)
I don’t know, but I would consider it.  My mom wanted my sister and I both to have names that started with A.  I have been saying for a long time that I want to name my children after Harry Potter characters.  I’m more serious about this than people probably think.  I like strange names.

5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
When I was growing up, I didn’t think that much about getting married and having kids, but I do remember that I liked the name Lexus for a girl.  Yes, I was serious.  No, I didn’t know about the car.  Yes, I have changed my mind.

6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
My brother is named for both of my grandfathers.  I’m the most likely of my brother and sister to have kids, so I suppose that responsibility would be mine, but my dad doesn’t like his name (he’s named for a saint) and would not be happy to have me torture an innocent kid with it.

7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
I suppose I think a lot about names because I write fiction, but I am more interested in the sound and look of names than in their meanings.

8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
I could go either way, but I tend to go with traditional human names.  I would also consider Ashley Jr. or Little Ashley.  I joke, but really, a neighborhood boy named his hamster after me.

9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
The only mean girl I ever encountered growing up was named Emily.  That name has such a sweet sound, but the Emily I knew bullied one of my friends and tried to come between me and another friend.  Obviously, Regina is out for the same reason.

10. What are some of your favorite names? Why?
I like a lot of traditional names for men, but then I also like the names Kingsley and Apple.  Much as I enjoy weird names, I prefer traditional spelling.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Nora March 8, 2011 at 11:50 am

I like strange/unique names too so totally nothing wrong with naming your kids after Harry Potter :) Ooo, Kingsley! What a pretty name :)

Also, re: names you don’t like, I’m right there with you!

Andrea March 8, 2011 at 11:57 am

My mom almost named me Amanda. Moms in the 80s loved the letter A.

SillyJaime March 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I would LOVE to name my children after HP characters. The Destroyer, sadly, would never allow that.

Also, I’ve always dreamed of having a puppy and naming him Kingsley.

Tabitha March 8, 2011 at 12:39 pm

YES! I’m loving that so many people are doing Ten on Tuesday this week (even though I don’t typically do it myself). This one is just too fun.

I can’t picture you as an Andrea, but Amanda could kind of work. You’re definitely Ashley, though. Also, I tend to agree about keeping traditional spellings of names. A friend of Joe’s parents just had their second son, and they named him “Paedyn” — a combination of Hayden and Peyton, because they couldn’t agree — and they went with THE most ridiculous spelling ever. I kind of hate it. :-P

Chelsea March 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I wonder what I said in that first ToT you read. And to think, if I had answered differently you may have sworn me off forever!

I like unique names too. Which is why I gave my son a last name instead of a first name! :)

AshleyD March 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you decided to join in this week! I definitely think you should name your kids after Harry Potter character. So awesome!

Ashley K. March 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Is your middle name Nicole by any chance? It’s just that about 95% of the Ashleys I know (myself incuded) have the middle name Nicole.

I love the idea of naming your kids after Harry Potter characters. I’m fairly certain one of my kids will be named or middle-named Neville.

Stevie March 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Um, Harry Potter names? Best idea EVER.

Also, my niece is named Emily and I have three very close friends named Emily. None of them are bullies (although, it’s too soon to tell with my niece since she’s only 3…). So hopefully that will make you feel a little better about the name ;-)

Michelle March 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Found you through ToT today!

And you know, Emily was the meanest girl I knew growing up (and the only person I’ve ever hit!). What a weird coincidence!

Cait March 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I hate how some names can be ruined by experience. Sometimes I worry that the person I end up marrying will absolutely love a name I can’t get behind because of past experience, or vice versa. But I guess that’s what compromise is for.

Emily Jane March 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Oh no! I’m sorry Emily has such a negative connotation for you. I hate how names can be ruined by jerks like that. My favourite name for my whole adult life was ruined last year when I met what I thought could be a new friend, who ended up being a twat! :(

mandy March 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I really love that you want to name your kids after the characters in Harry Potter. A lot. If I ever chose to have kids I can see myself naming after the characters in Gone With the Wind.

Paula March 9, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Ha, this was fun to read!

My initials are PMS. I think that’s pretty funny…

sleepyjane March 15, 2011 at 3:54 am

I don’t have a middle name. I used to be quite upset about it when I was younger because my sister got one so why didn’t I?

So I’m just Nicole, and thankfully I’ve always liked my name. I’m South African AND Afrikaans so it’s not a popular name because it’s english. Apparently my mom liked the name as she was watching some soap opera while she was pregnant with me and there you go.

Oh and also on the topic of the name Emily; Jaco’s uncle and his wife just had a baby and they named her Emme-Lee which is pronounced the same. Not sure I like it but whatevs.

nicopolitan March 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm

He named his hamster “@writetoreach?” ;)

{ 1 trackback }