The first post I ever read of Chelsea’s was a Ten on Tuesday. One of the questions was about junk food and her answer made it obvious that she is my kind of person. Every week I read everyone else’s responses, but I have never participated myself. The questions are particularly fun this week, so I decided to play.
1. How did your parents decide on your name?
My mom is responsible for my name. I was going to be Amanda or Andrea, but she heard Ashley at the last moment and thought it was beautiful. She claims she had no idea that it was going to be such a popular name.
2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?
No! When I was in high school, I noticed that my initials spell something or are at least pronounceable in every combination except the one I have them in. I noticed this in high school, because my initials when rearranged spelled out our school’s mascot. Obviously, I had a lot of time to think.
3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name? (If unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
If I get married, I will probably take my maiden name as my middle name unless I hyphenate. My middle name doesn’t mean that much to me and I don’t want to drop my maiden name.
4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)
I don’t know, but I would consider it. My mom wanted my sister and I both to have names that started with A. I have been saying for a long time that I want to name my children after Harry Potter characters. I’m more serious about this than people probably think. I like strange names.
5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
When I was growing up, I didn’t think that much about getting married and having kids, but I do remember that I liked the name Lexus for a girl. Yes, I was serious. No, I didn’t know about the car. Yes, I have changed my mind.
6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
My brother is named for both of my grandfathers. I’m the most likely of my brother and sister to have kids, so I suppose that responsibility would be mine, but my dad doesn’t like his name (he’s named for a saint) and would not be happy to have me torture an innocent kid with it.
7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
I suppose I think a lot about names because I write fiction, but I am more interested in the sound and look of names than in their meanings.
8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
I could go either way, but I tend to go with traditional human names. I would also consider Ashley Jr. or Little Ashley. I joke, but really, a neighborhood boy named his hamster after me.
9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
The only mean girl I ever encountered growing up was named Emily. That name has such a sweet sound, but the Emily I knew bullied one of my friends and tried to come between me and another friend. Obviously, Regina is out for the same reason.
10. What are some of your favorite names? Why?
I like a lot of traditional names for men, but then I also like the names Kingsley and Apple. Much as I enjoy weird names, I prefer traditional spelling.