You Remember Reading, Right?

by Ashley on March 4, 2011

I was in a situation a couple months ago where I remembered that I have a BA in English Literature.  Is that really something to forget about yourself?1

I just feel so far out of that world, because I don’t read anymore.  I haven’t since I started grad school. 2

I have a million good reasons to read fiction, but mostly I just miss it terribly.

I’ve said things like this before, but haven’t done much about it.  I can’t say everything is different this time, but some things are different and I want to try again to get back into reading.

I’m publicly setting the very reasonable goal of one book a month (privately I’m setting a far more ambitious goal, because I’m a crazy perfectionist with unrealistic expectations of myself).

I have a list and the first up is, Never Let Me Go, which I have been carrying around for months.  I’m going to read it and then I’m going to watch the movie and then I’m going to tell you how much I loved them both.  That is my prediction anyway.  Wish me luck!

1. Actually, I’m sure a lot of people forget this about themselves, because so few get to actually use their English degrees.  As for me, I was a double major and chose to pursue the other major–theology. []
  2. Fiction, we’re talking about.  I read hundreds of pages of theology/philosophy a week. []

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Lia March 4, 2011 at 5:12 am

Good Luck! I’m in a very similar place at the moment, it’s so frustrating! Never Let Me Go is also on my list, although Water For Elephants is my number 1 goal at the moment.
It’s so hard getting back into it… The only way I can focus on my book is to turn my laptop and phone off, otherwise someone is sure to IM or sms me and then my book gets chucked aside in a heartbeat :P

Joey March 4, 2011 at 5:51 am

I quite enjoyed Never Let Me Go (I like the author, one of my favorite books is The Remains of the Day), but I haven’t seen the movie yet. I have a BA in English too and haven’t been reading lately. I have no good excuse though, just laziness on my part.

Emily Jane March 4, 2011 at 7:35 am

My goal’s at least a book a month too – hubby and I are having a contest, which I find is REALLY keeping me on track – you could join in! :)

Tabitha March 4, 2011 at 7:54 am

Ooh, let me know what you think of the book! I’ve heard good things.

Ameena March 4, 2011 at 8:01 am

As soon as I finished Never Let Me Go, I immediately put down the book and went to the nearest theater to see the movie. I absolutely loved them both.

Kahea March 4, 2011 at 10:19 am

I’m on the fence about reading “Never Let Me Go”. It just seems like one of those books that’ll make me cry and cry and cry, and I usually have to really rally before reading those.

While in a completely different genre of fiction, “The Beekeeper’s Apprentice” is AWESOME and has sort of turned me into a Sherlock Holmes nerd. Would highly suggest it!

Daniella March 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

Reading is fun!!!

Melissa March 4, 2011 at 11:46 am

For me, Never Let Me Go was such a quick read, I finished it in just a day or two. I’m a fast reader, but I owe it more to the facts that the book was well written, flowing well, and that it was engaging. You’ll have plenty of time, and more! I bet you could sneak in some extra fiction!

Melissa March 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I just picked up Never Let Me Go! I can’t wait to read it. I had already seen the movie and fell in love, love, love. So I’m hoping the book is just as good (and I expect that it is). I’ve also recently upped my expectations for reading novels (so sick of the academic material I read all the time) and I’ve already managed to read about 6 since January, but most were during my break, haha.

Good luck with the reading!

Deia March 5, 2011 at 2:16 am

Good Luck about the reading. There’s nothing better than delving into a catchy book!

And don’t feel bad about forgetting your degree. This happens to me all the time. I got my BA degree last year in January and I continually keep forgetting that I have it, because I’m still in an advanced degree program…

Have a great weekend!

E.P. March 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Good luck on the reading! I hope that it’s going well… and I definitely know how you feel. I read crazily this summer, but since the fall and winter hit? Nothing. Literally. I have not finished but maybe one or two books. Here’s to hoping I can get back into it, too.

Elly March 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

I tend to devour books, so reading only happens when I have the money to buy them. It goes in phases, actually. I just finished Never Let Me Go, and goodness! I didn’t know anything about it when I picked it up, but I wasn’t expecting that kind of book! Definitely gives you a lot to think about. Definitely interested in seeing the movie, now :)

Mindy March 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm

In the years after undergrad, I read a lot and LOVED it. Discovered so many great pieces of literature. When grad school started, I really hoped that I’d be able to continue reading fiction in addition to schoolwork, and I’m finding that nearly impossible. It’s just difficult to juggle so much reading… =/

Gina March 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

When I was getting ready to graduate with my B.A. in English, I told myself, “Now that I’m not in school anymore, I will have all the time in the world to read whatever I want.” Two months later and I still haven’t finished The Hunger Games. I think the reason for this is because I read so many blogs nowadays: When it comes time to read an actual book, I’m already burnt out on reading 50+ blogs earlier that day. It’s like blogs have become my new “online book” or something. Silver lining: At least I’m reading. :)

Katherine March 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm

READ IT ALREADY! ; )

Katherine March 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I picked up Never Let Me Go at work the other day to go with my science fiction class assignment. It’s for the over all paper, not actually assigned for class reading.

How far have you gotten? Want to help keep me on it? I’ll totes be watching the movie as well!

Jamie March 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I’ve been missing reading a lot lately too so I just got so many books from the library. I read Pioneer Woman’s Black Heels to Tractor Wheels yesterday afternoon. It was all swoony and made me smile the whole time.

But next up is The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. Never Let Me Go is on my list too!

sleepyjane March 7, 2011 at 1:02 am

I go through stages where I average about 5 books a week and then NONE for two months. I’m in the off again stage, having started a book and not being able to finish it. I haven’t read “Never Let Me Go” yet, but it’s on my tbr pile.

Previous post: